BEING TEXT OF A PRESS CONFERENCE ADDRESSED BY THE NORTH CENTRAL ALLIANCE FOR ABBAS TAJUDEEN SPEAKERSHIP.
1. Gentle men of the press, I welcome you to this press conference on behalf of all us who are advocates of inclusive and quality legislative leadership. As the race for the leadership of the 10th National Assembly continues, it is our resolve to back Hon. Abbas Tajudeen, a ranking member representing Zaria federal constituency of Kaduna State for the speakership of the House of Representatives.
2. Perhaps, the first question you all may have in mind is why we would prefer an aspirant from North West to those from our geopolitical zone of North Central. It is indeed true that the North Central parades some of the most capable and competent individuals who will do well as speakers, but as patriots; we are looking beyond the primordial issue of protecting the interest of our region and instead putting our focus on the larger picture of inclusive leadership for our country and the sort of quality governance we envisage under the President-elect, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu.
3. With North Central senators-elect already lobbying and insisting on having the position of tye deputy Senate President, it becomes untenable for the zone to at the same time aspire for the Speakership of the House. In the spirit of equity and fairness, therefore, we believe that it is only proper that the position of the Speakership be ceded to the North West, first in recognition of the contributions of the zone to the victory of the APC in the 2023 elections; and to show inclusivity which is the hallmark of the APC.
4. While we concede that a number of aspirants in the race are qualified on account of their individual experiences; it is our belief that there is a wide difference between qualification and suitability. Someone who is qualified for a position may not necessarily be suitable for it. This is why, having considered the experiences, resume and track records of all the aspirants for the House of Representatives speakership, we found that Hon. Abbas Tajudeen is most qualified on account of his rich legislative experience, versatility, capacity and unmatched skill in human relation; all of which are required ingredients for anyone seeking to lead the House as the primus inter pares.
5. With a career spanning over four decades, during which he functioned variously as a teacher, private sector operator and finally a lawmaker, Hon. Abbas Tajudeen acquired a mixed of experience which prepared him adequately for the position he now aspires to. With over 10 motions and a record 73 bills, Hon. Tajudeen, a third term lawmaker who has either been a deputy chairman or chairman of important House committees such as legislative compliance, solid minerals, land transport, including chairmanship of several adhoc committees between 2015 and 2022, come highly prepared and ready to provide impressive leadership to his colleagues in the House of Representatives.
6. As it’s often said, the deep calls to the deep. With the pedigree and the reputation for effective governance already associated with the President-elect, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu; he needs equally effective and competent leadership in both chambers of the National Assembly to complement him and help deliver on his promise of ‘Renewed Hope’ for the generality of Nigerians. We believe as a man of quality that Asiwaju Tinubu is known to be, he would readily appreciates the need to have other equally competent individuals who he can seamlessly work with in order to fast track the delivery of his good plans for Nigerians. We believe that Hon. Abbas Tajudeen fit perfectly into the category of quality individuals that Asiwaju would look forward to working with.
7. While we call on party leaders and stakeholders, most especially the members-elect of the House of Representatives to support the aspiration of Hon. Abbas Tajudeen; it is our belief that his emergence as Speaker would strengthen the performance of the House, enhance service delivery to the Nigerian people, promote transparency in the conduct of legislative duties and deliver a people-parliament that Nigerians would be proud of.
Thank you your attention, and may God continue to bless the Federal Republic of Nigeria.