Arising from an emergency meeting after an on-the-spot assessment of the dastardly, unprovoked, senseless and deadly massacre in Umuogudu Akpu autonomous Community of Ngbo nation yesterday, which claimed many lives, left many wounded and scores of houses and other property burnt and utterly destroyed; the Amalgamated Ngboejeogu Youth wishes to state the following:
1. That the Fulani herdsmen numbering over one hundred, armed to the teeth with most sophisticated weapons at the early hours of Monday 12th April, 2021 invaded, maimed and unleashed an unimaginable terror on the people of Ngboejeogu from the Umugadu Umuogudu Akpu axis.
2. That the gruesome attacks led to the horrific deaths of so many known citizens of Ngboejeogu.
3. That whereas search is still being conducted in the affected areas to ascertain the level of damage and deaths recorded, over twelve (12) lacerated lifeless bodies have been recovered while the whereabouts of many persons are still unknown.
4. That over fifty six (56) houses, yam bans, business places/shops were either burnt to ashes or utterly destroyed by the Fulani attackers.
5. That the attacks mostly affected four villages in Umuogudu Akpu Community axis of Ngbo clan namely: Ebele Umugadu, Otuebu Umugadu, Ndiegu Ibe-Agba and Odebo.
6. That the Fulanis were visibly sighted and heard by many survivors.
7. That the language they spoke was no other than fulfulde, the Fulani known language and their looks (appearances) and modus operandi were still same with that of Fulanis.
8. That phone calls made to the mobile phones belonging to some of the slain victims were received by the attackers who spoke fulfulde language with heavy Fulani accent.
9. That we condemn in strong terms the barbaric acts of the heartless Fulani attackers.
10. That while we acknowledge the presence of security Agencies who came to intervene on the ugly situation, we frown at any attempt by any individual, group or government to twist the story to serve any political and or economic interests.
11. That we find it difficult to comprehend the interest it serves and the reason behind the hasty conclusion of the Ebonyi State Government in exonerating the Fulani herdsmen from perpetrating the brutality.
12. If mere denial of involvement is enough criterion to determine who was involved in the horrendous act and who was not as postulated by the Ebonyi State Government via their Press Release on the 12th of April, 2021, we wish to ask, now that the Ado Local Government Area Chairman of Benue State has debunked the allegation of their involvement in the attack, can the Ebonyi State Government tell the world who attacked Ndu Ngbo on the 12th of April, 2021?
13. That the hasty Press Release by the Ebonyi State Government with its unverified facts is nothing short of taking side with the Fulani attackers against Ngboejeogu clan.
14. That we were shocked that unlike the prompt action of government which included visitation, provision of relief materials, encouragement and consolation of affected persons before press statement in the case of Egedegede of Ishielu Local Government Area where the Fulanis also attacked recently, the State Government did not care to send any of its officials even if it’s a Technical Assistant, to visit the scene of the attacks in Ngbo, make an on-the-spot assessment of the terror before going to the press. We then ask, where, when and how did the government conduct the said investigation that led to the preliminary report and conclusion?
15. That we are worried that the Press Release by the Ebonyi State Government was more interested in exonerating the Fulanis from any involvement in the horrendous attacks than painting the exact picture of what happened. Hence no mention was made of the many casualties recorded and multi million naira worth of property destroyed.
16. That we recall vividly that upon receipt of security report late last year 2020 that the Fulani herdsmen were planning to attack selected Ebonyi Communities with Ohaukwu prominently mentioned, the State Governor on or about the 20th of September, 2020 called for an enlarged security meeting with all the Service Chiefs, Traditional Rulers and other critical stakeholders in attendance. The meeting was replicated at the Local Government level with Ohaukwu holding theirs on the 21st and 22nd of September, 2020 consecutively.
17. We wish to ask, what was/were the action plans of the meetings? How were the plans implemented? Was the assurance of ”no further attacks on Ndi Ebonyi” by the Fulani herdsmen given before those meetings or after the meetings? If before the meetings, why was the government apprehensive over the threat and if after, did it come before the Egedegede mayhem or after?
18. Granted that for the Fulanis to attack Ngbo from Agila axis is suggestive of connivance of the duo which should be subject to investigation, but the Ebonyi State
Government’s hasty conclusion in its defense of the enemy is quite unfortunate and unacceptable. As law abiding people, we don’t intend to cause more tension or escalate issues from Agila axis but such suspected connivance should be thoroughly investigated before reaching a conclusion.
19. We condemn in strong terms such government Press Release which tends to protect the Fulani herdsmen at the expense of its citizenry.
20. We therefore pray the State Government to shun sentiment and wake up to its statutory responsibility of protecting lives and property of Ngbo nation and other citizenry. We equally appeal to good spirited individuals and corporate bodies to come to the aid of Ndu Ngbo particularly the affected areas of Umuogudu Akpu as they have lost all they have to the blood sucking Fulani marauders.
Prince Uche Ali Ega
President General, A.N.Y
Comrade Samuel Okpor
Secretary General, A.N.Y
Dr Joseph Elom
Barr. Michael Odo
Legal Adviser, A.N.Y
Barr. Chinedu Ituma
Umuogudu Akpu Community
Dr Gregory Esheya
Mr Chiadikobi Ogamde
Barr. James Onah
Mr George Ume
Dr Ndubuisi Agbo
Barr. Uchenna Igwe
Okposhi Eheku Community
Barr. Chinedu Ugadu
Okposhi Eheku Community
Engr. Friday Nkwo
Dr Friday Ugadu
Mr Kenneth Ekpa
Umuogudu Oshia Community
Mr Emmanuel Onwe
Okposhi Eshi Community
Dr Augustine Igwe
For and on behalf of the Amalgamated Ngboejeogu Youth.