By Adanu Isaiah
As the calls for who succeeds Sen. Abdullahi Adamu as the APC National Chairman continue to reverberate and gather momentum across the leng youth and breadth of the nation, strong indications have emerged from the grapevine that distinguished Senator Ameh Ebute Former Senate President in the Third Republic may be considered for the position.
Analysts and political pundits are unanimous that the strong character trait, experience, exposure, humility and dedication of Sen. Ameh Ebute to the worthy cause of Nigeria makes him a hot favorite and contender for the APC top job.
Proponents of the idea of a possible Ameh Ebute ascendancy and leadership argued that the Nigeria nation and APC teaming members can not afford to turn deaf ears to the clarion calls and agitations to have Abdullahi Adamu a Muslim from the North Central Geo- political zone replaced with a Christian from the same zone to balance the delicate and fragile ethnic conflagration borne out of the result of the presidential election were both the President and Vice President-elect practices same faith, a development that has triggered resentment and agitations by strong forces and element within the party.
Independent and strong members of the party who preferred anonymity crave the indulgence of the President-elect, Sen. Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu, men and women of goodwill to demonstrate sufficient political will to the nation by prevailing on the Abdullahi Adamu led APC National Working Committee (NWC) to step down for a fellow North Central Christian. In this case, distinguished Sen. Ameh Ebute who appears to be the favorite and concensus among the many power blocs within the party given his strength of character, honesty, integrity, humility and abiding faith in God.
Those who preferred the Idoma born icon to take over from Abdullahi Adamu premised their arguments on the following facts:
1. That Sen. Ameh Ebute’s consistent Loyalty to the party and unrivaled service to the nation during the trying times of Nigeria military interegnum where life was snuffed out of democracy by the military hangmen puts him on a better pedestal for the job.
2. That Sen. Ameh Ebute’s experience exposure as a former Sen. President placed him in a vantage position to clinch the seat. It will be recalled that the President-elect Senator Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu was a Senator under Ameh Ebute’s leadership in the 1992 Third Republic. It was the political dexterity, admistrative sagacity and leadership acumen that prompted the likes of Sen. Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu to mobilize fellow senators which eventually led to the emergence of Ameh Ebute as the Senate President after the exit of Senator Iyochia Ayu.
3. That Sen. Ameh Ebute’s penchant to save democracy with the likes of Sen. Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu caused a head on collision with the military which ultimately led to their arrest and detention, a development that was better imagined than experience.
4. That Sen. Ameh Ebute’s unquestionable integrity and probity in public life will definitely give him an edge to tower above all other possible contenders for the APC plum job.
5. That Sen. Ameh Ebute’s qualification as a legal practitioner obviously put him ahead of others.
6. That Sen. Ameh Ebute’s consistency, focus and dedication to party ideals, mission and vision endeared him to a good number of party members across the nation hence the clamour for his ascendancy and leadership of the party.
7. That Sen. Ameh Ebute’s humility, faith in God and steadfastness confers on him the title of favourite to emerge as APC Chairman after Abdullahi Adamu’s exit.
Given the above facts, it becomes evidently clear that Sen. Ameh Ebute is not only qualified for the job but also the best man to lead our great party forward. It is therefore, our prayers and conviction that the steadfastness, loyalty and contributions of Sen. Ameh Ebute to the growth and development of the party in Benue South, Benue state and Nigeria at large will not go unrecognized and unrewarded to the glory of God.